Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Its not the end, rather the beginning


Last night, along with some good friends and the youth pastor from my church, I attended Mosley High School's graduation ceremony. From before the graduates took their seats to walking out the gates at the end, I was consumed with thoughts of the past. I remember standing and waiting to take my seat and feeling anxious yet the happiest I've ever felt...knowing everyone I care about is there watching me take this next step and begin this new chapter in my life. I've never felt more supported, loved and excited then I did that night. One of the students last night said that high school is supposed to be the best time of your life and although I used to agree with that statement, I'm not so sure I do anymore. Life isn't about remembering those good times, but making every moment good and appreciating what you've been blessed with, what you've overcome and those that you have loved and that have loved you along the way. In the beginning of the ceremony I kept reflecting on my high school years and wishing life was as fun as it was then, but then I realized...it is!! I can honestly say that my life isn't anything how I thought it would be at 23...I mean, I thought I'd be engaged or married, have graduated from college and have the job of my dreams (which, 5 years ago was being a teacher). However, its quite the opposite...I'm still single, still in school, majoring in something completely different and I live by myself and although I've struggled with reality in these past 5 years, I don't think I would want my life any different then how it is. In these past 5 years, I've dealt with the loss of loved ones, heartbreak, loving someone, making TONS of new friends (some of the greatest I've ever had), grown further in my relationship with the Lord, and have recently been able to embrace all of that and be thankful that my life isn't comparable to anyone else's (even though I've tried to compare it, time and time again)! Last night, I realized that although some of those "good times" are gone, its now time to create new ones and not only look forward to what's to come but live in the here and now, not looking back and focusing on making MY dreams come true...even if they are completely different then they were 5 years ago.

2 comments:

  1. how come i feel the same exact way? you just knew how to say it! Gooooood Choice!

    -Allison

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are an amazing writer. I enjoy reading your blog so much! Keep up the good work. You are inspirational!!

    ReplyDelete

Meg's Picks

http://www.jango.com/music/Casting+Crowns?l=0

Oh Glorious Day!-Casting Crowns
Powered By Blogger

Followers

About Me

My photo
I'm a Florida girl trying to find my place in this world, while seeking my Savior and discovering who I am in Him and the unconditional love and grace that he so lavishly pours on me.